Together with the Client, the development of a scalable platform that easily adapts to new customer groups, including local markets in the future, while simultaneously connecting integrated operating global and local systems. The basis of our solution is the possibility to develop the platform in two dimensions: horizontally – the introduction to new markets, vertically – the introduction of new functionalities to international instances of the platform. createIT also provided SEO services and performed a marketing analysis.
A scalable, easily-adaptable platform - including local markets in the future
The Client was unable to effectively manage and develop a network of eShops (8 implemented eShops with over 10k active user accounts). Despite the fact the shops operated under one brand, they were separate, not integrated entities both in terms of the environment in which they were created as well as the management through two different B2C and B2B sales channels.
The business goals of the Client:
- To create a global, scalable eCommerce platform for all Clients (B2B and B2C) of Mercator Medical with a centrally managed logistics system and administration, as well as with full integration of other systems used by the company (WMS, CRM, PIM, ERP)
- To increase the effectiveness of sales through the eCommerce channel
- To prepare the platform for an easy introduction to all markets where Mercator Medical is present
About the client
The Mercator Medical Group is a Polish company from Cracow which has been manufacturing and distributing single-use medical materials and gloves. It is currently one of the biggest companies of this type in the world and it sells its products in over 70 countries.
About the project flow
We began our cooperation with Mercator by
Determining the business needs in detail
Presenting the possibilities and technical limitations that might occur
Discussing the pros and cons of different options of creating an integrated platform
Establishing a cooperation model that would fulfil the business goals
The project was implemented in the T&M model in which the Client has a real influence and may model work as part of sprints while paying only for the work that has been completed by the team. At the beginning of the cooperation, the main goals were determined, which served as the navigators during the planning stages of further sprints and tasks associated with them.
Our cooperation was based on two pillars. First, from the very beginning, together with the Client we assumed that the process of the platform’s creation is a combination of constant integration of systems with constant introduction to new customer groups. Second, to provide code of the highest quality through automated tests, GIT flow and the process of code revision and verification.
The core of the system is a hub that ensures platform integration for two markets – B2B and B2C. Because of this, Mercator is capable of:
- The addition of price lists to the platform through ERP
- Performing a quick business analysis of Client behavior, product popularity, development of product groups for selected Client groups, etc.
The hub is built from monolithic modules that can be quickly expanded or changed in their own ecosystems, so without consequences (changes) to other modules operating within the hub.
Good performance of such a complex platform is ensured by:
- CQRS, so the separation of commands and queries in platform architecture to a non-relational database
- The reduction of the number of queries for the API
- Activity based on the cloud
The main functionalities of the platform that are important from the Client’s perspective
- Automation of displaying individual prices for Clients from a specific country or geographical region
- Automation of displaying individual prices for each Client
- Automation of displaying individual prices on the basis of defined Client groups
The main functionalities of the platform that are important from the user’s perspective
- Easy access to Mercator products using any device (desktop/mobile)
- Easy shopping, a clear purchasing path for the Client, easy management of documents, invoices
- A credit limit for the B2B Client
- Depending on the Client type, the platform adapts the purchasing path for each client based on his segmentation
Systems integrated with the platform
The challenges we have overcome
Data bus – the assumption before the project was that the data bus would easily transfer data from other Mercator Medical systems to the eCommerce platform. The custom solutions used during implementation did not allow for that, so it was necessary to implement functionalities enabling verification through data provided to the platform, as well as functionalities that allow for the management of incoming data.
Does your company need a similar solution or would you like to go down an individual path?
We are ready for both!
"They look at our cooperation as a long-term relationship"